Jane's Gift - Karen  Erickson A devastating house fire cost Jane Clark nearly everything: her husband, her confidence, and her looks, with the physical scars marbling her body. Now, two years later, she’s living and healing back in her childhood hometown of Lone Pine Lake. The upcoming holidays are the perfect opportunity to bring some Christmas cheer into her young children’s lives, starting with a visit to the firehouse, where her brother’s best friend has offered to help quell their residual fears.

Lone Pine’s resident playboy, fire captain Christian Nelson is happy with his single-guy lifestyle. He’s an everyday local hero, so he’s never wanting for attention around the holidays. But when Jane Clark shows up, Chris is immediately drawn to the beautiful widow—even though kids and commitment have never been his style.

Despite her brother’s warnings about his friend’s playboy status and dangerous occupation, Jane can’t help but fall for the gorgeous fire captain. The holidays are a time of new beginnings, but can two scarred people find the strength to let go of their pasts to live in the present, when a lifetime together might be the sweetest gift of all?

I was unsure if I would like reading a holiday book so early in the year. Boy I am glad I did. Ms. Erickson has done it again. This book is about a family trying to recover after a devastating fire. Their emotional journey had me glued to the book from the moment I picked it up. The wonderful characters and family interactions are realistic. I really fell in love with the whole family and the back and forth with her brothers and sister made it feel like I was part of them.

I was rooting for Jane and Chris from the moment I met them. Each had a past that made them try to avoid a relationship but they worked it out and I just knew there was going to be a HEA. The fact that it was set in a small town was perfect as far as I am concerned. You really got a feel for the atmosphere and the way they celebrated the holiday festivities made me want to move there. The secondary characters really kept me interested had the plot moving along. I can’t wait to see where the next book in the series goes from here.

If you want to get in the holiday mood, or just read a feel good romance, then this is definitely the book for you.