Evernight: Romance in a World of Darkness, Volume 2 - Allison Cassatta, Johanna Rae, Jemma Rose, A.L. Kessler, Tracey Steinbach, L.S. Beck, Rory Ni Coileain, Angela Kerns, L.S. Broomfield, Aaron Speca, Patricia Laffoon, Sherrie Henry, Lorelai Stevens., D.R. Shallow I am really enjoying the stories of the anthology Evernight: Volume II. There is one story in particular I really wanted to review though because I just loved it.

The story is Serpentine by: Rory Ni Coileain

In this story a young princess is being told a bedtime story about the mythological Lamias. I have to admit, in many of the stories I have read, there is mention of Lamias, and they are usually the protagonists. Never have I read one with the Lamia as the main character. So the idea of a story about one was intriguing. I was sucked in from the first paragraph. It is a short story yet I didn’t feel cheated. There is a very clear conflict and resolution. It is so hard sometimes for me to like short stories because often I feel cheated. That was not the case in this story.

At first I thought this was going to have a bad ending. Even if it had I still would have been pleased because any story that evokes emotion, good or bad, is great in my eyes. The setting is vaguely medieval with paranormal elements. A short and sweet romance, I recommend that you pick up this anthology. If you buy it to read this story you won’t be disappointed and there are many others that are worth a look.