No Take Backs: A Taken Novella (Give & Take, #1.5) - Kelli Maine There was something I didn’t know.

Something that would change everything.

The grand opening of Turtle Tear Resort is a time for celebration, but the man Rachael loves more than anything is suffering in silence. Rocha Enterprises was Merrick’s life. Now, he’s been left with no choice but to sell off the business he built from the ground up, and Rachael’s hell-bent on finding out why.

I love you too much not to fight to get it back.

Even if you’ve given up.

“You’re hurting me, Rachael…You’re going to him…I can’t promise I’ll be here when you get back.”

My heart bleeds as you stride away from me. Last night you told me you love me, now you’re walking away because I’m fighting for you.

Rachael can forgive and forget the past, but can Merrick overcome her betrayal?
**********
OK, this book is a novella that takes place right after the novel Taken. It was extremely short. We get to see the resort just as they are about to have their grand opening for family and friends. Of course this opens the hero and heroine up to all sorts of familial drama and outside forces determined to tear them apart. At least that’s how Rachel and Merrick see it.

A more co-dependent doormat of a heroine I have never seen. Now that she has forgiven Merrick for drugging and kidnapping her, she is terrified that family invading their island of tranquility and alone-ness will be violated. She seems to think that they will find out how Merrick got her there in the first place and be horrified by their relationship. Ummm...YEAH! Then she leaves and goes to the man who is ruining Merrick’s life, thinking she can make it better? And expecting Merrick to just roll over and accept it? Whatever.

The hero seems to be resorting to even more childish behavior than before. He is selling his entire empire to keep it out of the hands of his Dad. Really? The man is a billionaire and could keep that shit tied up in court ‘til the apocalypse finally comes. And this so called savvy billionaire (who supposedly built his empire from near nothing) doesn't figure out that it’s his Dad buying all of the said empire!?

Of course we get to see more of the train wreck roommate, the bitchy PA (now ex-PA) and Rachel’s nightmare of a mother. And let us not forget the “surprise” that Merrick’s Dad has waiting for Rachel when she gets to Atlanta. *shaking head* We are left with a cliffhanger, that just couldn't make me want to pick up book 2 which is due out sometime this year.

Again I was disappointed. I was hoping maybe the characters would experience some emotional growth. Instead, it seems they have fallen even further into some seriously destructive patterns that make me cringe. I think these two deserve each other and should probably stay on their deserted island so as not to inflict themselves on anyone else.

My least favorite part: Merrick acting like a spoiled 12 year old.

My favorite part: I guess the smoking hot sex scenes. That’s something at least.